Settling into Rome


We arrived in Rome about 9:00 AM local time, 3:00 AM east coast time.  As usual passport control was quick and simple, I don't think he even asked me a question, just looked at my passport - stamped it and waived me on. My checked bag didn't arrive on the carousel, after a couple of false starts I talked to the agency that handles AA's lost and delayed baggage and my bag was in Philly, it had missed a connection in Detroit.  Bottom line, it would be in the next morning and they would delivery it to the hotel sometime the next day.  My late mother-in-law had taught us to always fly with a change of clothes and basic toiletries kit in my carry-on - life goes on, don't let the little things mess with the big things.  The Leonardo Express train runs directly from the airport to Termini the main train station in Rome - 14-euros per person, you can buy tickets in vending machines.  We took a taxi from Termini to our hotel for the first couple of nights.  We stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in the San Giovanni neighborhood for the first two nights. Holiday Inns are consistently good, and this one fit the bill. It was four subway stations east of the Colosseum, walkable to the subway station, and about 135 euros a night including a great buffet breakfast.  I have learned to book a reliable hotel for at least the first night after an overnight flight, settle in, rest, don't plan to do much the first day.  Get a good nights sleep and then start to explore.  I also have a two night rule, I try to arrange travel so we stay at least two nights in any location.  That gives us at least one full day to explore and get to know the place. 


View out the front of the hotel 


A streetside gas station in Rome


an informal dinner near the Holiday Inn
Breakfast on the terrace at the Holiday Inn

Comments

Popular Posts