Gear Fetish 2

I contend that most photographers have a gear fetish, with a PowerBall lottery win, most of us would end up making a pilgrimage to B&H in New York, for a haul that would require pre-authorization from Amex, and a security detail to haul it all away.  If you haven't been there, plan a trip to New York city, and a couple of hours to explore toyland at B&H.  And no they didn't sponsor this post, but I would consider that.  I am unlikely to win the lottery, I don't buy tickets.  

There are a couple of things I would love to have.  A super telephoto for wildlife and birds.  Cannon recently announced a 1200mm telephoto lens with a retail price of $380,000 - yes you read that correctly, more than most of us have paid for a home.   I don't need that much, but a solid 500 to 750 would really come in handy.  But I am resistant to spending more on a lens, than I did on the car I am driving.  

I own two tripods, one I have had since I was a teenager, the other one was new this summer, I hate both of them, for different reasons, the older one I can never get the top to level on, the newer one has a detachable camera mount that binds when you take it on and off. On rare occasions when I want to do long exposures, such as catching the motion in flowing water, or night shots, a tripod is needed.  For my day to day work, it is not.  Someday, I will buy one I like. 

I have a Christmas gift on the way, an addition to my lens collection, a fantasy piece I have occasionally dreamed about since I was in high school and the yearbook advisor had one. When I post an image from it you will know what I am playing with (it has arrived and I have tested it to make sure it arrived in working order.)  
 

Comments

Popular Posts