An Encouraging Sign


Over the years I have been screamed, scolded and thrown out of public places for taking photographs.  Some of them are memorable in a good way, I was taking photos of the behind of a statute in an ancient bath in Rome and the attendant took offence at me taking photos of the nice round butt.  A jewelry store owner in Venice came out and shouted at me, NO PHOTO . . . it was Venice.  

Some not so pleasant, the "Discovery Store" asked me to leave because I was taking a photograph of a massive display of penguins, I vowed to never return, and I was pleased when the chain went out of business.  They were concerned that other retailers were copying their store displays, not like other stores had dozens of penguins for sale.  

I was in a coin and antique shop in Carson City Nevada, and there was a political button, Prostitutes for Nixon, I started to take a photo, and autofocus stopped me, the owner screamed. He insisted that I delete the photo, I showed him that the photo had not been taken - he refused to believe me and threw me out of the store.  With that attitude he is going to struggle in business, and have a stroke or heart attack long before his time.  

In New Orleans I was in an art gallery that had signs up saying photography welcome, and the Smithsonian American Art Museum has signs up saying photography encouraged (unless otherwise posted.)  The only place I saw signs asking you not to photograph was the preservation lab, where people are working behind glass restoring work.  Easy to honor.  

Comments

Popular Posts