A Proud Amateur


I was listening to Daniel Milner, one of the professional pundits on YouTube about photography.  He is a professional influencer, he has a long history as a professional photographer, he was a leader in Kodak's motivational force, he has made a living taking photos, teaching photography, encouraging others to take photos, is is easy to describe him as a professional photographer. I enjoy his monologues, he has had some amazing experiences, and does some really great work.  

In one of his recent postings, he was describing one his dislikes about the way some photographers do something - I don't remember what it was - that is unimportant.  He warned his listeners who were faint of heart, to mute him, and look away and then said "if you do X, you are just an amature, you are not a professional."  

I was not insulted by what he said, I am proud to be an amateur.  My days of trying to get paid for the images I create are long gone, other than a hundred dollars a year or so in advertising revenue from a couple of blogs, my work is unpaid.  I do it because I enjoy it.  I do it because I think I can communicate a message, I hope I can create images that someone might enjoy seeing, and I enjoy the creative process of creating those images.  

I am not so sure that there are hard and fast rules about what a professional should or shouldn't do.  If someone is willing to pay for the work, it was professional work.  I have no doubt that it is harder to be a professional, a person who earns a living creating photo images today than it was 50 years ago.  But it was never easy, believe me I paid the bills with a bag full of cameras for a couple of years in the 1970's.  It was a constant slog to find work, and to get paid (there was work people agreed to pay for, that I completed, that was used, and I have still not been paid for.) I have no doubt that there a people who consider themselves professional photographers today, who at the end of the year don't really make a profit.  

For everyone of them, there are thousands of enthusiastic amateurs. Many of whom create amazing images, that tell stories, that connect and communicate.       

Comments

Popular Posts