Finding the Place

Nikon D 5500 with 70-300 DX lens
ISO 200, 116mm, F/6.3 1/640 effects monochrome 

 I live a relatively short drive from Washington DC, I went out one weekend morning recently thinking I would slip across the Memorial Bridge, hang a right onto Ohio Drive park and take a nice stroll from the Lincoln Memorial, down to the Washington Monument and back.  A nice hour walk, and lots of photo opportunities.  It was a great idea, beautiful weather, I had the top down on the convertible, and 10,000 other people thought it was a great idea also.  Parking was not to be found and traffic was ugly, a taxi blew his horn at me wanting me to run over a cyclist who was sharing the road with us.  

I found my way back across the Memorial Bridge, the bridge runs from Arlington National Cemetery to the back side of the Lincoln Memorial, thought for a moment, there is a nice parking deck at Arlington, pulled in, easily parked and went for a nice walk.  I needed the time walking, getting out of the house, into the fresh air and sunshine, and I was able to take a few good photographs.  

Images like the one above have a certain feel, the image tells the message of death in the name of country, that section is war dead from either WWI or WWII.  Depending on what I am writing about it can be used to illustrate the senselessness of war, or the sacrifice of the few to preserve the freedoms of the many.  A decade or so ago, I visited Normandy, and stopped at the American Military Cemetery.  I was very much enjoying the French countryside, the warmth and hospitality of the people.  I was stuck be the number of graves there, mostly from the D -Day period in time, and wondered to myself why, and then I thought of the warm wonderful people, the beautiful countryside,  and thought, preserving this was important.  It is still hard for me to justify war in my heart, but what was preserved is special.  This find of photo can be used to tell the story of what has been done, to create the world we have.  

I just sort of stumbled across the cemetery in Normandy, I ended up at Arlington because there was parking available.  When you are there, take the walk, create the image in the place that you have found. Think about how it fits into your world, and the message you want your work to communicate.  

Comments

Popular Posts