Search for the Image

I have been reading Sean Tucker's book "The Meaning in the Making,"  he talks about finding motivation or becoming inspired to create images.  He says he seldom finds inspiration when he is home stretched out on the sofa, he finds it when he gets out and goes looking for things to photograph.  

When I am in a slump, I set aside and hour, grab the camera and just get out there. I walk, I free my mind to explore, I look for what is different, or pretty, or thought provoking. Opportunity comes to those who go looking for it, the opportunity for a great image will never come to those who are not seeking it. 

The harder it is for you to get started, the greater the opportunity to improve your inspiration.  I am not saying you should force yourself when you are unwell, though looking back on it I wish I had taken a camera with me through my journey through the American health care system a few years ago.  The handful of cell phone images I have are inspiration for messages I have used over and over again.  Those images are real and represent the human condition. (I had a tumor removed from my spine and a section of my spine fused with titanium plates and screws a few years ago.)    
 

Comments

Popular Posts