What Is My Style of Photography

April 19, 2019 Nikon D5500 10-20mm lens at ISO 200 20mm F/8 1/250

 I describe my style as documentary.  What I shoot, is generally what you see.  I do a mix of landscape, wildlife, urban street, history, art, architecture.  

If I was out to tell a specific story, then journalistic would be a good descriptions. 

If I took photos of people who were posed, and lighted it would be portraiture. 

If I focused creating a beautiful image, my work might be fine art. 

If I created images of still life or objects, that would be a specific style (and I do this from time to time, but casually.) 

If I did primarily urban, street would be an appropriate style tag. 

There are more, I have an underwater camera that I have seldom used (it is fun, but very strange to come home, put it in a bowl in the sink and run cold water over it for 15 minutes.) 

All of these, with the exception of portraiture describe my work at some time, but documentary is probably best.  I have never felt comfortable taking photos of people, and only manipulated lighting for school projects.  I don't extensively edit or manipulate my photos, making some the categories such a fine art a stretch.  Mostly what I shoot is what you see.  Funny that, when I was shooting black and white film half of the magic was in the printing, perhaps I should edit digital more. 

So what is your style? 

Comments

Popular Posts